Are you dealing with the difficult process of finding the right Lancaster home care provider for your senior relative? Maybe you’re wondering how to ensure you find a provider who isn’t only trustworthy, but also clicks with the family. Inquiring about the following items during a home care consultation or interview will help you choose the best option for your family and your loved one.
- Breadth of Services – When interviewing a prospective home care provider, you need to inquire about the range of services offered. Typical jobs performed by in-home caregivers include running errands, helping with medication reminders, bathing and other personal care activities, and cleaning the home.
- Availability – The daily availability of services is also important. You need to know if care is only available during certain hours of the day. Depending on your loved one’s care needs, you may wish to hire a caregiver who can be reached during all hours of the day and night. Along with hourly care, the home care provider should have options for Lancaster live-in home care as well as overnight care.
- State License – Many states make home care providers maintain appropriate licenses. Before hiring someone to assist with your loved one’s needs, find out if the provider, in addition to the caregiver, has the correct license. You can also inquire about first aid and CPR certification.
- Caregiver Training – A caregiver should have relevant work experience and training in how to care for seniors and older adults. Ask the care provider if they offer any additional training courses, including specialty care courses for Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s or dementia care in Lancaster.
- Management – Ongoing management is an important part of ensuring that your loved one is always receiving the highest level of quality care, especially if they are living with a degenerative condition in which care needs could change at any time. Ask if quality assurance visits are conducted and how caregivers and families communicate or settle problems or issues that may arise.
Picking an in-home care provider is a huge responsibility. However, taking the aforementioned items into consideration will help you choose the provider best able to meet your loved one’s needs. For more information, please call (717) 540-4663 and speak with a friendly Care Manager from Home Care Assistance of Lancaster.